Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Square Foot Fool

After many years of unsuccessful vegetable gardening, I decided to try Square Foot Gardening.




It's recommended that the smallest beginner garden should be 4x4, but I thought even that would be a bit much for me. So I have 3x3. My sweet husband built a raised bed for me, and designed a "critter cover" to keep the squirrels and rabbits out. Although I planted in all 9 squares, not everything took, so I currently have 3 open squares. I'm not sure what I'll put in them. This time of year in Florida is not really the best for planting. Right now I have cayenne peppers, bush beans, chives, basil, rosemary, and cherry tomatoes. The beans don't look too healthy, and I'm not sure they'll survive now that the wet season is here. The basil and chives were struggling in little pots in the kitchen, so I moved them outside in the hope that they'll be happier there.

Look! We have one ripe pepper. What can you do with one pepper? I guess I'll need to search out some recipes.




And here are the not so healthy beans. It appears to have attempted flowering, but the flowers dropped before any beans formed.
Ah! Some tomatoes. Not many will be ripe at once, so I'll have to get creative and try to pretend there's enough for all three of us. We'll be having very small side salads.
















This looks a little sad in the picture, but it really does look like a decent little garden in person.





*Note: I have no idea how to load these pictures. No matter what I do, they all load above the text, then I have to try and move them to where I want them. They look a little haphazard don't they? Kind of like my garden at times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment