Monday, June 26, 2006

Flowers First

I suppose the first post should have some pictures of pretty flowers. I was going to start with my square foot vegetable garden, but hey, that's not pretty. So here we go.


Here is the milkweed in our butterfly garden. We have seen many Monarchs lay eggs on the milkweed, and we've seen many Monarch caterpillars. We've only seen one butterfly emerge though.



This azalea is no longer. I'm sorry, but azaleas in a garden are just not that great to me. They grow all leggy and you can't prune them after late June. They only give you a few weeks of flowers, and you spend the rest of the year keeping them trimmed. Azaleas look much better in the wild. I did try to transplant it to the far back area of the yard, but it didn't make it.

By far my favorite in this group is the sunflower. This is an accidental sunflower so I don't know if it counts as part of my garden. These grow all the time, from birdseed that drops around our birdfeeders.



Ah, Sun-flower, weary of time,
Who countest the steps of the Sun,
Seeking after that sweet golden clime
Where the traveller's journey is done:

Where the Youth pined away with desire,
And the pale Virgin shrouded in snow
Arise from the their graves, and aspire
Where my Sun-flower wishes to go.

~By WILLIAM BLAKE~

0 comments:

Post a Comment