Thursday, April 07, 2016

F is for Florida, My Florida

Today is the day we post using the letter F in the 2016 Blogging from A to Z Challenge. For the letter F I'd like to introduce you to My Florida,  Real Florida, the Florida I love so much.

My Florida is the one most tourists rarely see but that most Floridians wish they did. My Florida isn't filled with theme parks, condo-lined beaches or bizarre news stories beginning with the two words that make every normal Floridan cringe - "Florida man..."

So sit back and let me tell you about My Florida.

In My Florida, we do have seasons but you have to change your idea of what seasons look like.

Spring - Smell the citrus blossoms on a warm evening. The heady, heavy scent is a treat for the sense of smell.
Summer - Feel the awesome power of an approaching thunderstorm. Smell the rain that's on its way. Watch the steam rise from the ground when the rain ends. That's right, a summer shower does not cool the air.
Fall - Notice the bright pink and yellow colors of the Golden Rain Tree. Enjoy the deep red leaves of the Florida Red Maple. Feel the humidity start to drop. This is how you know fall is in the air.
Winter - Go out into your backyard on a crisp winter morning and pick some oranges to have for breakfast. Eat them as-is or squeeze them for fresh juice. Listen to the sound of the neighborhood children's happy voices on Christmas afternoon as they ride the bicycles they found by the Christmas tree. Perhaps your own children or grandchildren are among them. Perhaps you were once one of those Florida kids. Set up a bird feeder in your yard and enjoy birds from many parts of the northern U.S. and Canada as they settle in for the winter. These are the original "snowbirds".

Want to connect more with the real Florida?


  • Go to the beach and lie on the sand. Listen to the powerful sound of the ocean. Feel the salt air on your skin.* Breathe it in.
  • Go to the mangroves and observe the web of life running through its veins. Look at an old cypress tree and know that it was there a century ago or more. Think of the stories it can tell.
  • Mountains are beautiful, but in Florida you can see for miles and miles. We even have our own prairies as beautiful as any you'll find elsewhere.


*As our adopted favorite son Jimmy Buffet says, "Salt air it ain't thin. It can stick right to your skin and make you feel fine."  ~ Tin Cup Chalice.

This is what My Florida looks like. I've included an obligatory alligator photo but notice the absence of theme parks, condos, and cruise ships.

















5 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Sounds great!

But being a Chicagoan I would miss the snow.
Which we had today. In April.

Then again, maybe I wouldn't miss it all that much.

--
Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
2015 A to Z of Adventure!
http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

Floridamom said...

You would probably need some time to get used to it. I know several transplants who still miss the snow and other seasonal changes. My family moved here from NJ when I was a teenager, so Florida is really home to me, and the lack of snow and cold is a plus in my view.

Robin M said...

Very enticing and great pictures.

Archana said...

Sounds an amazing place and much better than the usual tourist places. thanks for this intro to Florida.
@yenforblue from
Spice of Life!

Trudy said...

I've visited Florida several times, and recently my son moved there. I look forward to visiting him and exploring... and walking on the beach. Can't get enough of that.

Post a Comment