Sunday, April 03, 2016

A is for Audio Books



I signed up for the 2016 Blogging from A to Z challenge with only hours left in the sign-up window. Sunday is supposed to be the day off but if I'm going to start the week without already being behind, today is a blogging day for me.

I'm a recent convert to audio books.  I used to think I couldn't listen to them because my mind wanders too much.  I was able to listen in the car, but nowhere else.  (My family and I have listened to the Harry Potter series over and over and over in the car.  We would repeatedly check out the books on CD fro our library.)

However, I recently learned a trick that allows me to listen to audio books at home.  If I keep my body occupied my mind will stay focused on the book.  Now I listen when I'm doing boring repetitive tasks such as folding laundry, cutting up vegetables, gardening, or even mopping the floors, I can listen to audio books.  Since I made that discovery I've been checking out mp3 audio books from the library to listen to on my phone, but I also joined Audible.com for those audio books not available at the library.  I was thrilled when the Harry Potter series came to Audible, and even bought extra credits so I could hurry up and buy all of them.

I find that difficult books or books with a lot of old English or vernacular are easier when I listen to them as opposed to reading the written words.  I've been working my way through Dickens novels this way.  My current audio book is The Iliad from my local library's e-library selection.  The translation I have isn't very poetic, but for someone who was only taught bits and pieces of this story that works just fine.  Perhaps after I've listened to this simplified translation I'll feel up to tackling a more poetic one.



I also like listening to books I'm familiar with, such as the previously mentioned Harry Potter or anything by Jane Austen.  Finally, I really enjoy hearing an author read his or her own books.  My most recent favorites have been Tina Fey reading her autobiography Bossypants, Betty White reading hers, called If You Ask Me, and Toni Morrison reading anything she has written.




I have heard that some people will seek out specific narrators of audio books.  I haven't been listening to books long enough to have any favorite narrators, but perhaps someday I will seek out someone specific to read a book to me.

What about you?  Do you listen to audio books?  If so do you have a preference for the type of book you like to listen to?  Perhaps you prefer non-fiction, or books you've already read.  Do you like listening to the author reading his/her own books?

3 comments:

Pinksocks said...

To be frank the thought of listening to a book never occurred to me.
I have a relatively short attention span.

But I am sold on the idea of listening to it while doing the mundane household chores.
One can train the mind. :)
Thanks for sharing the wisdom.

Cheers,
[@womod] from
Pinksocks

Floridamom said...

You're welcome. That's really the only way I can listen to audio books and I figured if it works for me it might work for others too

Robin M said...

We've been listening to all the Harry Potter books in the car and at dinner when hubby isn't here. I like listening to books I've already read rather than newbie ones. Don't know why - maybe its easier. I'm quite picky about narrators, preferring women. They seem to do a better job with guy voices for some weird reason. Yeah for Audible. :)

Post a Comment