Sunday, August 12, 2007

No Signs Of Life Outside.

I stepped out briefly this morning to get the paper, then hurried back in to the comfort of air conditioning. Not a creature was stirring, not even a bird or squirrel, or neighborhood cat. No humans out and about either. The only sound was that of the cicadas singing. The only other sign of animal life was an occasional lizard darting by, probably in search of water.

Temperatures have consistently been in the upper 90's, with heat indices at 102 or higher. No rain in more than a week. I managed to get out from 7pm to 8 pm last night to do a bit of weeding. I pulled out the dead sunflower, and put the seeds in the bird feeder. The birds have been looking for water every day, so I once again filled up the birdbath. I really need to get the Seminole pumpkin seeds in the ground, but can't bring myself to get out there long enough to prepare the plot.

August in Florida is not for the faint of heart.

0 comments:

Post a Comment